Friday, October 2, 2020
Association of Black Social Workers
Title: Executive Director
Job Type: Permanent, Full-time (non-union)
Location: 1018 Main St. Dartmouth
Hours of Work Per Week: 35 (This position requires flexibility to work some evenings & weekends as necessary).
The Association of Black Social Workers is a volunteer charitable organization consisting of Black Social Workers and Social Service Workers throughout the province, whose objective is to provide courses, seminars, and workshops about social work-related projects and programs geared towards persons of African descent. The ABSW also offers services such as counselling and advocacy to individuals as well as the community. The ABSW seeks to educate the public through conferences and workshops on matters affecting the Black family and community throughout the province.
The Executive Director works in partnership with the ABSW Executive Team to ensure that the organization fulfills its mission and assists in creating strategies that ensure its future success. The successful incumbent must have knowledge of the African Nova Scotian communities and social issues that create barriers to healthy development for African Nova Scotians.
In This Role You Must Have:
• A Masters Degree in Social Work with 3-5 years in a leadership or supervisory role
• Registration or Candidacy for Registration with the Nova Scotia College of Social Workers
• Understands the principles of leadership and can successfully demonstrate these principles in relation to recent experiences
• Demonstrated skill using anti-oppressive practice
• Ability to work in a team environment, inspire direct reports and peers
• Demonstrates strategic and analytical skills in problem solving
• Possesses excellent interpersonal skills
• Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrates the ability to form strong partnerships with stakeholders
• Experience writing grants
• Strong management and leadership skills
• A strong financial background
• The ability to think strategically
• The ability to make sound judgements
• The ability to be solution focused
• Proficiency with computer programs that enhance the work (i.e. Microsoft Word, Outlook, Internet search tools, Social Media Platforms, zoom etc.)
The successful applicant will be required to provide a Criminal Records Check and Child Abuse Registry Check.
Salary Range – (PR-17 Provincial Gov.) $73,893.04 - 86,786.70
Closing Date: October 2, 2020.
Please send your cover letter and resume to: Email: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Revised Sept. 10, 2020