In Canada, social work legislation is the responsibility of the province.  Legislative authority is thus divided between the Federal government and the provincial/territorial governments. In Canada jurisdiction over profession is assigned to the provinces/territories. Each province has enacted legislation and established social work regulatory bodies to govern the profession in accordance with the legislation. Provincial social work legislation varies from province to province. Individual social workers become registered by becoming a member of a provincial regulatory body.

British Columbia

British Columbia College of Social Workers
1430-1200 West 73 Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6P 6G5
Phone: (604) 737-4916 Fax: (604) 737-6809
E-mail: Website:


Alberta College of Social Workers
#550, 10707 100 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 3M1
Tel: (780) 421-1167 or 1-800-661-3089 (Alberta residents only)
Fax: (780) 421-1168


Saskatchewan Association of Social Workers
2110 Lorne St.
Regina, SK S4P 2M5
Tel: 306.545.1922 or 1-877-517-7279 
Fax: 306.545.1895
E-mail: Website:


Manitoba College of Social Workers
Unit 101-2033 Portage Ave.
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3J 0K8
Tel: 204.888.9477
Fax: 204.831.6359


Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
250 Bloor St. East, Suite 1000
Toronto ON M4W 1E6
Phone: (416) 972-9882 or 1-877-828-9380 Fax: (416) 972-1512
E-mail: Website:


Ordre des travailleurs sociaux et thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec
255 Crémazie Est, bureau 800
Montréal, Québec H2M 1L5
Tel: (514) 731-3925 or 1-888-731-9420

New Brunswick

New Brunswick Association of Social Workers
P.O. Box 1533, Postal Station A Fredericton, NB E3B 5G2
Tel: 506.459.5595 / 1.877.495.5595 (NB residents only)
Fax: 506.457.1421

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia College of Social Workers
1891 Brunswick St., Suite 106
Halifax, NS B3J 2G8
Tel: 902.429.7799
Fax: 902.429.7650


Newfoundland and Labrador

Newfoundland and Labrador College of Social Workers
P.O. Box 39039
St. John's, NL A1E 5Y7
Tel: 709.753.0200
Fax: 709.753.0120

Prince Edward Island

Prince Edward Island Social Work Registration Board
81 Prince St
Charlottetown PE C1A 4R3
Phone: 902.368.7337 Fax: 902.368.7180 Email: Website: 

Northern Canada (Northwest Territories)

Registrar, Professional Licensing
Government of the Northwest Territories
Department of Health and Social Services
5015 - 49 ST (7th Floor)
Box 1320 Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
Tel: 867.767.9067 Fax: 867.873.0484