Social Workers are usually employed in hospitals, community health centers, mental health clinics, schools, advocacy organizations, government departments, social service agencies, child welfare settings, family service agencies, correctional facilities, social housing organizations, family courts, employee assistance programs and private counselling, school boards, and consultation agencies.
Below are links that describe what social workers do when they work in various areas of practice. You may also be interested in the Canadian Insititute for Health Information's page on social work.
- Social Work in Long-Term Care
- Social Work and the Treatment of OSIs
- Social Work Practice in Corrections
- Social Work Practice in HIV/AIDS
- The Social Work Role in Physical Rehabilitation
- Social Work Practice in Community Development
- Social Work Practice in Schools
- Social Work Practice in Primary Health Care
- Social Work Practice in Child Welfare
- Social Work Practice in the Mental Health Field
- Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Ethical Practice
- The School Social Work
- The Role of Social Work in Mental Health